COVID-19 Fact Sheet
What is COVID-19?
A respiratory illness that is capable of spreading from person to person.
How is COVID-19 spread?
It is spread between people who are in close contact (less than 6 feet apart) through respiratory droplets that are produced when one person coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread by touching a surface in which the virus is on, and then touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
What are the Symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms can be mild to severe and include fever, cough and breathing difficulties.
Is contracting the virus fatal?
Most people will recover, but persons with underlying medical conditions or compromised immune systems can develop pneumonia in both lungs and have multiorgan failure which may result in death.
How can I protect myself?
• Avoid close contact with other people by keeping a distance of at least 6 feet apart.
• Avoid contact with people who are sick or showing symptoms.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• In absence of water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
If I am sick, how do I prevent the spread of COVID-19?
• Stay home.
• Cover your sneezes and coughs with a tissue or sleeved elbow. Do not reuse tissues, throw them away immediately. Do not use handkerchiefs.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces or objects.
I have been travelling in an area with COVID-19, what do I do?
Self-isolate for at least 14 days, even if not showing symptoms. If experiencing symptoms, call 8-1-1 or your local health care provider. Let them know you have been travelling. Follow the directions from 8-1-1 or health care provider on how to receive care, and prevent the spread of the virus. Do not go out in public.
Is there a vaccine?
There is no vaccine to date.
Is there a treatment?
Only treatment available is to relieve symptoms.