Becoming a sustainable farm, requires a good risk management program. The process doesn’t have to be complicated. It can be as simple as asking “what if,” using checklists, a group discussion, or a job analysis. To conduct a risk assessment, use the following steps:
- Choose a system or a component of a system to evaluate for risk.
- List the hazards associated with the system or component of the system.
- Determine the likelihood of an incident of injury.
- Determine the consequences of an incident or injury.
- Identify the risk level using your risk assessment matrix.
- Recommend corrective actions or controls to reduce the risk to acceptable levels.
- Identify the residual risk or level of risk that remains after the control measures have been put into place.
Do you have and use a risk assessment tool? If not, use this resource as a guide.