Workers have the right to know the hazards they are exposed to on the farm.
Pesticides can be a hazard to the applicator as well as to the worker who may be working in the fields or greenhouses in which they were applied or in areas where they are mixed and stored.
This Pesticide Safety Awareness course is designed to inform the worker of the hazards of pesticides on farm and how to control the hazards to reduce the health and safety risks.
- Briefly review the regulations in Canada that govern the use of pesticides.
- Review safe handling of pesticides.
- Learn to read labels and material safety data sheets.
- Learn the toxicity and route of exposure for pesticides.
- Review the use, care, and storage of personal protective equipment.
- Learn how to protect the farming environment when using, storing & transporting pesticides.
- Learn the process for cleaning pesticide containers and proper storage of full and empty containers.
- Identify components required in an emergency response plan.
Disclaimer: The intent of this course is awareness training to provide more information and understanding of the risks when working in areas where pesticides may have been applied, are stored or being mixed. This is not a not a preparatory or certification course for the provincial Pesticide Applicators license. Visit the Government of Nova Scotia Website to learn more on the Pesticide Applicator Certification